Thursday, March 24, 2016

REMAIN IN MY LOVE




THE SACRED PASCHAL TRIDUUM:
FRIDAY OF THE PASSION OF THE LORD
Is 52:13-53:12 / Ps 31 / Heb 4: 14-16; 5: 7-9 / Jn. 18:1-19:42

“And bowing his head, he handed over the spirit.”
Jesus who was born in Bethlehem is now hanging lifeless on his Cross at Calvary.
Jesus who fed the hungry is now fed into the hands of righteous people.
Jesus who walked along the shores of Galilee is now walking along the way of the Cross.
Jesus who brought joy to the woman caught in adultery is now met by her sorrowful mother and the weeping women of Jerusalem
Jesus who gave life to many has now given his life as a ransom for our sins.

If you look at the Cross of Jesus, what do you see? We see a Jesus whose look was beyond human semblance. We see a Jesus who was betrayed by his chosen friends. We see a Jesus who was mocked and cursed by the people. We see a weeping mother standing at the foot of her son’s cross. Indeed, what a dark, dry, and dull scene at Calvary.

However, despite the people’s mockery, Jesus asked his Father to forgive them. Despite the pain, Jesus gave heaven to the repentant thief. Despite the sorrow, Jesus entrusted Mary to the disciple and the disciple to Mary. Despite the hatred of his enemies, Jesus handed over his spirit to the Father. And why was Jesus able to do these things in the midst of pain and suffering? It is because only love remained in his heart. He was simply fulfilling his instruction to his disciples at Last Supper to “remain in love.”

My dear friends, there is much pain and suffering in our world today. Every day, our families face a lot of problems, concerns, and worries of the future. Faced with all these, there is a strong temptation for us to fall out of love and turn to “lesser loves” – money, power, and fame. However, Jesus Crucified has set for us an example – that even if everything will be taken away from us, our hearts must not stop beating in love, in God’s love. Despite the hatred, we must love. Despite the indifference, we must love. Despite the difficulty, we must love. And even in the face of death, we must remain in love.

Almost three years ago, while I was still in the seminary, after dinner, I received a call from my sister. She informed me that my mother was rushed to the ICU for an unknown illness. I have to fly back to Cebu early morning the following day. When I arrived she could no longer speak. After lunch that same day, her eyes forever closed. She was no longer my mother who was so alive and “talkative.” I must admit she was nearing death. And true enough, at 1045 in the morning of the following day she breathed her last. Reflecting from that experience, I realized that even if my mother was no longer able to see and speak; and even if she lost her life, what remained until today is her love for me and my family. Every time, I find life heavy and burdensome, I call on her. Every time, life becomes difficult, I call on her. And I am sure that until today her love remains in my life because St. Paul reminds us that love “endures all things, hopes all things, believes all things… and that love does not end.”

My dear friends, no matter how we preserve life, we must admit that it will never be perfect. But life is still beautiful. It is still good to live this life. And the reason for this is God’s love. And so, let us every day remain in God’s love. Amen.  




No comments:

Post a Comment